dose of durianmania.
profile
CLARISSA




credits
This blogskin is proudly presented to you by Anna May.
Making Chee Gu!
Saturday, January 26, 2013 @ 12:51 am
This morning, after taking my phone off from the charger, I received a call from my yeye. He called asking me if I had plans today and whether I was free. His timing was so good. I felt like a little elf all ready to get to work or something. He asked me over to zhar chee gu! You know, the chinese new year goodie that looks like pieces of shaved gold. It symbolises prosperity and all.

So I agreed! I also asked. If there was lunch (hehe), gran says I'm very smart. Wake up only have food to eat. Mama cooked her aixin mian and then after lunch I helped them to fry the chee gu! It's like family tradition to eat these. My mama and yeye always work together and fry them up during chinese new year. Despite their age now, they still did it for me this year. Knowing that I'll be going away, every week everyday also dote on me :'(

Blessed to have them in my life. Some people never meet their grandparents, but for me. My grandparents were always there for me when i was growing up. Gran retired early from her midwivery to take care of me during primary school. When I was younger in pre-school. I didn't stay at my own home. Daddy & Mummy would leave me at mama yeye's flat in bukit merah because its near my kindergarten and I would only go home during the weekends. So I'm always at mama yeye's house. When I was even younger, they didn't have to engage a maid to take care of me. Mama yeye would take care of me. I was always caned when I was younger, caned by yeye. But now? He dotes on me! Reminiscing the times with them today. I really value the time spent with them. Even though mama is always harping on the same thing and complaining about gran doing this and that. You have to cut her some slack. Both of them grew up differently, and have different values/takes on certain things.
Mama does things from scratch. Even chilli sauces and cooking soups and even using the charcoal fire to cook now. Doing things the good old ways. She still wipes the floors by hand (believes its cleaner that way).
Gran on the other hand? Loves various foods, likes to try new ways of cooking. Aims for convenience and creativity and she really does things differently. Unconventional method of cooking. So YES they do not get along. Always talking/complaining about each other. But its alright. That's what makes my life with them so interesting.









 This is the result of 2kg of chee gu. I counted the bulbs.. 33 okay! But it all seems so little now because things are so expensive these days. So well..... Not much to give away to other people this year!

So later tonight. Celebrated vanessa's 17th birthday. Wow. So old already. We still used to play together when we were younger. All my neighbours never changed for 14 years.Still the same neighbours. Nobody moved in or out on the same 11th floor. So I'm quite glad we didn't have to adjust to any new behaviours or what. Shes 4 years younger than me, 1 year younger than Audrey. Remember being so petty with each other when we were younger. I would take her bicycle and learn how to cycle, while we had family clubs and girlz clubs and some gift shoppe where we would make cards and sell them. Those were the days. We even had cold wars last time too! See our photos I think we were in primary school then....




Then today I took photos with her again. See the contrast!






13/14 years of friendship and neighbourly ties!

Happy Birthday again Pang Qi Pei!